Thursday, May 04, 2006

Top States you do not want to live in

Another 8 to 8 day at school today. I had my last clinical evaluation of the visual system lab practical tonight. I had to do BIO (binocular indirect ophthalmoscopy) with scleral indentation on a patient. I was really nervous about it all day but ended up doing great.

I won $25 tonight at a presentation put on by
Varilux and Transitions lenses. Varilux makes awesome progressive lenses (bifocals without a line) and Transitions makes the lenses that get dark when you go out in the sun and clear when you are inside. They told us about their sweet products and wined and dined us. I won the $25 for answering, "what year did the first progressive lens come out?" 1959.

Now for the Top States you do not want to live in: (based on vision requirements to get a drivers license) this is especially useful for the cycling community cause were out there riding.

1. Iowa (20/70 in one eye)
t2. Alabama (20/60 in one eye)
t2. Georgia (20/60 in one eye)
t2. Pennsylvania (20/60 in one eye)
t3. Indiana (20/50 in one eye)
t3. Oklahoma (20/50 in one eye)
t3. Texas (20/50 in one eye)
*in one eye means they only have to have one eye! you know blind or enucleated!

States you do want to live in:
(no one eye drivers must be at 20/40 both eyes)
mississippi (they have to be first in something)
Hawaii
Nebraska

(20/30 in one eye)
Utah
Kansas
Conneticut
New Hampshire
North Carolina
Ohio

All the other states are 20/40 in one eye.

So what does 20/70 mean? Ok so 20/20 vision is what the average person can see, it indicates a certain size letter that the normal person can see from 20 feet away. 20/70 indicates a certain size letter that the normal person can see from 70 feet away, but if you have 20/70 vision you can see the letter only if you are 20 feet away. That is 50 foot difference!

How does this effect us cylcist out on the road? If you can only see 20/70 in one eye it will take you 50 more feet before you can see me biking on the side of the road and if you are blind in the right eye, I am really in trouble because you may miss me all together because of your restricted field of view on the right side (where I will be riding).

Bottom line, be especially careful if you live in one of those "top states not to live in" (that's me) and be careful if you live anywhere else. I know what it is like to be hit by a car, it is not fun I have scars to prove it. Brit knows what it is like also, she suffers because of it every day (messed up neck).

No comments: