Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Training Update

So, I've been trying to ramp up my miles and get ready for the Oddessy. Here are a few things I've rediscovered about myself:




















-My best runs happen when I focus on the joy. Some people run to relieve stress. Not me. Stress shuts down my motivation and makes me want to go home and sit on the couch.

-Being a washed up mom with three kids makes me a little soft on the competitive side. I think things like, "even if i'm slow my kids will still love me :)" . . .

-I am a mountain girl. We did some singletrack Monday and I forgot how much better running on trails is. I think more people would run if they would get up in the hills. Up, up and up anyday over the flats and pavement.

-I've busted out the old-school headphones and they double as earwarmers. Not too hot with just the right beat.

-Kyle has been really supportive, although sometimes I think he is a little too willing to drop me off alone at dusk in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I just can't get over how brutally honest running is. Meaning, with biking, you can coast, you can use your momentum, you can take a break while still moving. With running, every step is your own.

On a completely other topic, I liked this poster from Etsy. It has nothing to do with running but everything to do with life. I'm a believer that when that something speaks to your heart, you've got to follow it with everything you have.

Here's to following dreams and having faith things will work out!
My cute kids.

4 comments:

JENNE said...

Wish we lived closer I think you could motivate me to get going. Have you read the book Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougal. Its about ultra/trail running - you must read it - inspiring.
Way to go Britt!

.l i c k t e e s. said...

can you send some motivation my way? i'm jealous that you get that time to yourself everyday :)

and are those pictures with big camera? i'm glad you've finally decided to use it! kids look darling, as always...

Karin said...

Such cute pictures. That picture of Ella is crazy beautiful, she is getting too big!

ROSIE said...

I am with you on the whole trail thing. I am starting some crazy natural herb tricks, so I can get going too.
Now the question is, have you started swimming???