Saturday, April 10, 2010

The blessings of music

"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." --Berthold Aerobach

So today I am the kind of happy that comes from deep down. Music is a part of my other life and I feel like it has been on hold for a long time. Today we bought an Essex by Steinway. It was used, a great deal, and has a beautiful tone that is so mellow and sweet. Kyle has listened to enough brassy pianos in the last month that even he agreed this was the one for us.




















I have been composing lately and want to see if I can't create a few songs worth listening to. And I think I can bring something to the piano in my adult life that I was unable to fully apply as a teenager: discipline.

Neither of my parents play the piano but I am thankful for the sacrifices they made so I could. Because pianos are expensive and we have been in school for a long time, I made a deal with the man upstairs years ago that if he would help preserve what skills I had until I could get a piano I would happily accompany anyone in church or elsewhere. I feel like He has kept his end of the deal and I have tried to uphold mine.

I have also started to teach Ella and the other day she came to me with a song she had wrote herself, with maybe a hundred quarter and half notes on it. She told me it was called, "You're the one for me." And that, my friends, is a different post entirely :).

8 comments:

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

Beautiful piano. I love hearing my girls play our also!! It is a great thing to have, and I think it is important for children to be surrounded with music it just is so wonderful! Congrats.

Tricia said...

Tiny tear drop. It is so beautiful and you absolutely deserve it. I hope you have so much fun playing it. Good luck with Ella. It sounds like she will be quite the artist. :)

gina said...

I too make "deals" all the time with "the man upstairs."

Ashley Whimpey: The One with the Fairy Dust said...

Brit!! I am SO JEALOUS of your piano. What a treasure. I know what you mean about putting it on hold. I don't think my husband even knows my love for playing the piano, because since we've been married, I have been separated from my parent's piano. . .therefore never play. I love your prayer to preserve your skills. I'm sure he has and you'll be a pro again in no time. I was always so jealous of your ability to improvise on the piano in high school. I was never good at that, and silently coveted your skills when you'd play gigs with our friends! I hope you do start to compose. . .you'd be awesome. I want to hear!!

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

Okay- now it is time for you to make me a new CD. We listen to 'One More Year Baby' every Sunday. Sometimes it makes me miss Teeton. :)

Dana said...

I'm spo excite you finally got your piano!! Just wigh you were still across the street so I could hear your songs and Ella's! so did Ella write her song for Saul? :) I miss you guys so very much, even if I never call or write! Love you!

Tiffany Sommer said...

Cant wait to hear your stuff Brit! Love to have such talented friends :)!!!!

Lisa Curtis said...

You made a deal with God?! Yikes! :)