Tuesday, September 08, 2009

Where every day is a five turtle day
















Who knew? Homeschooling rules! Here’s a sample of our week.

Tuesdays: Group lesson
Thursdays: Library and/or playdate
Monthly: Fieldtrip

On a daily basis I teach to Ella’s level and Kate gets what she gets out of it. I only spend about an hour of dedicated time. The rest is more natural. We try to cover the basics every day--reading, sightwords, coloring/cutting, biking—and sometimes we get more creative.

Thursday’s Lesson Plan
• Scavenger hunt using hieroglyphics and sight words
• Early reader book about Native Americans
• YouTube clip from SLC Olympics, Native American opening
• Overview of symbols, using pictures and colors to communicate
• Practiced handwriting by writing “War Pony” 6 times
• Turned “my little pony” picture into Indian War Pony
• Learned Indian song while coloring
• Made Indian jewelry with pipe cleaners, beads and feathers.
• Started reward program: When you are honorable (help mom), you earn a feather

Continuation throughout the week. . .
• Make arrowheads with clay; bow and arrows
• Make teepees with dowels and brown paper bags
• Hopefully go squirrel hunting!  (No squirrels will actually be harmed)
• More vocab words and books

Field Trip: Moundville, AL, Native American Festival Oct. 7.















Don't worry about my kids being weird cause they're not in school.
Instead, you should worry about them being weird because their parents are weird. I'm just saying . . . that seems like a more accurate predictor.






7 comments:

dishka said...

Freaky Homeschooler!! Just kidding!! I seriously considered doing the same before Megyn started school. I still think about it sometimes. Is it still considered homeschooling if I send them to someone elses home? Want to try your skills out on a 2nd and 4th grader ;) I've said it before, you're awesome!!

Dana said...

I so wish we were going to be home OCt 7th because Rhae and I would SO crash your trip to Moundville--I LOVE Moundville! Have a ball! You're doing a great job with homeschooling! Ella is already a better reader than Aidan was after a whole year of formal kindergarten!! :) Oh, and supper was delicious!

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

SADIE!! Darn her just deleted my comment.

Can I enroll my girls (and myself) in your school? That looks awesome and so fun. You're a great mom and I was never worried about you homeschooling. I love your last little thought about the parents being weird is the problem. :) Made me laugh. Oh, I loved the theme and war pony. Cute bracelets too!

I wish you were here to take this cake class with me. I'm looking forward to a 3 day weekend sometime so we can come play.

Love you Brit!! (I know I'm random, sorry. I have to type as fast as I can without getting attacked by Sadie.)

Kathy said...

I admire how you handle three children and homeschooling. Kate will probably benefit more from this than Ella, because she is learning along with Ella. She will be so far ahead when it is time for her to actually start school. Any time you want to farm out your children for some deserved quiet time for yourself, let me know! Clay and I had a great time when you visited.

Tricia said...

That is so awesome! If I didn't have a newborn... I think you're doing great. I'm sure the kids had a blast and learned a lot. Keep it up and Ella will be ready for first grade soon!

Macdonalds said...

I wish you lived here, I'd love to home school with you. Looks so fun!

Ashley Whimpey: The One with the Fairy Dust said...

Crazy! I JUST watched Pocahontas (you know, the Disney very far from the truth but still love it Pocahontas) and remembered the good ol days of making dream catchers. It sounds like you are having SO much fun with your kiddies! Good. Take in every minute.