Monday, July 05, 2010

Remembrance

This July has special meaning for my family. My brother Kirk was honorably discharged from the Marines after 4 years of service and two tours in Iraq. At Church today my dad shared an experience that is maybe too personal to put on a blog but I figured we all need a happy story once in a while, right? And I want to remember it so here goes.

Before Kirk left on his first tour to Iraq, my dad gave him a priesthood blessing. For those of you who aren't familiar with this, it is sort of like an inspired prayer, given by a Melchizedek Priesthood holder, to one who is sick or otherwise in need of special counsel, comfort, or healing.

Anyway, before Kirk left my dad gave him a blessing and the Spirit testified to him that my brother would be alright and would returned unharmed. This gave my dad great comfort and allowed him to reassure my mom while Kirk was away.

Before Kirk's second tour to Iraq, my dad gave him another priesthood blessing. This time, although he had words of counsel for Kirk, he did not feel the same reassurance and peace that Kirk would return unharmed. He said as a father it was very hard for him to send his son away without that reassurance.

While Kirk was away, my dad said he relied on his faith to give him peace, that whatever happened was meant to be and part of God's plan. You could tell that this took effort on his part and I believe my dad grew from this experience and his faith was strengthened.

Needless to say we are so glad that Kirk returning safely to us was part of His plan.

The below picture was taken before Kirk left to the Marines and represents a tender moment between my dad and brother.

I titled this post remembrance because I hope to always remember the often silent sacrifices so many have made to let freedom ring.





5 comments:

Ammie G said...

That was a great 4th of July story thanks for sharing it. We are so grateful for bothers like your's.

How Sweet it is! said...

Your dads testimony was very touching. You have a great family, lead by two wonderful parents.

Ashley Whimpey: The One with the Fairy Dust said...

Thank you so much for sharing such a personal, important story Brit. It reminded me to look into my book of notes I try to keep of the numerous blessings I have been given. It really gave me so much joy to see how much my Heavenly Father cares for me, His comforting promises that later came true, and the blessings that took a great deal of faith on my part in order to come true. I like that you said that the times when we have to use our greatest faith in our blessings are the times that we learn the most. Thanks for helping me remember.

Macdonalds said...

Your dad is pretty amazing. I'm so proud of Kirk! I'm so glad he is finally home!

Kathy said...

Hey Britt,
I am crying as I read this, thanks for sharing this story. As you know my son Kyle, recently returned from Kuwait. I quickly realized that only God could deliver him from the hell our military personel live through during a deployment. And even after his return, I continued to rely on God to deliver him from some emotional problems he was experiencing.
I was blessed to be able to spend the 4th with him, and thankful to have "the old Kyle" back.