Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Essay Contest: A Date with Romney

you have no idea the price my clean house paid for this essay. cross your fingers that we'll win!

Q: What does a free and strong America mean to me?

A free and strong America is a place where people are bold in their pursuit of excellence, unafraid to roll up their sleeves when the tough times come. It’s a place that recognizes debt for the tyrant it is and where policy is made not by the highest bidder but by a people committed to common sense, goodness and truth.

A free and strong America fights for its kids and the helpless. It tackles daunting problems such as healthcare and immigration because it believes America and her people are worth it.

A free and strong America is a place where men and women honor their marriages with fidelity, kindness and respect. It’s a place where I learned the secret of happiness from a mechanic and a beautician, parents who taught their four children anything is possible with hard work, creativity and an open mind.

A free and strong America is a place where even though my mother cries at night for her son in Iraq, she would send him again because she understands that greatness requires sacrifice, and there is nothing greater than freedom.

In short, a free and strong America means everything to me because it’s my home and my children’s future. It’s a place where on any given day you can walk outside and feel the sun on your face and wind in your hair. And nowhere does the sun shine as bright or the wind feel as good as where freedom rings.

9 comments:

Kathy said...

As I dry the tears from my eyes, I will say my friend, that is excellent!!

How Sweet it is! said...

Wow! You have a gift of writing,that was very well said. You are an amazing person, who comes from two of the most amazing parents!

Rachel Kirkham said...

Absolutely magnificent! I'm sure Mitt will love it :)

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

I love it. I love it. I love it still and sure hope you win!!

.l i c k t e e s. said...

it's seriously perfect. you have to win :)

brit said...

that's why you guys are my bosom friends! thanks for the sweet feedback. it's a long shot but if i am within five feet of mitt maybe he'll hear me out on arranged marriages for his grandsons with kate and ella . . .

Dana said...

Wow! that's great! You definitely have a gift! Mexican sounds good to me...you know I'm up for it anytime, and was just thinking today that I wanted to make some fajitas or something!

Tiffany Sommer said...

Beautiful Brit!!! Amazing!!! Youre incredible as always

Tricia said...

Sniffle...Truly moving. I'm suddenly so proud to be an American. Best wishes! I'm sure your house will recover in no time!