Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Operation Gillespie

Since becoming a mom, I sometimes find myself using military terms to describe life with my kids. For example:

Airborne (refers to kate jumping off high landings)
AWOL (i hear birds; the kids are not in the house)
United Fortress (Dad backs up mom; mom backs up dad)
Secure the Perimeter (Deadbolts in place)
etc. etc.

Well, during the last month of pregnancy and now having 3 kiddos, I've been formulating a new philosophy on how to be a happy, enjoy-every-minute kind of mom. It's called I SURRENDER.























I surrender trying to have everything be perfect, my house clean, everyone's hair done and clothes in order. I give up, universe, and it feels great!
I was up every 2 hours with Dash last night. At 6:30 i went back to bed. Thirty minutes later i awoke to the smell of nail polish.
-------------------
"Katie!"
"Uh oh."
"What happened?"
"Ella."
"No, I don't think so."
"Fez?" (Kate's cat)
---------------------
But since I had already surrendered, I wasn't even upset. With Anne's help we cleaned it all up. Just in time for kate to take her diaper off and make another kind of mess . . . which i will spare you the details.
My mom was talking about helping me lock things up in a cupboard. But . . . kate is vertically mobile. She climbs, uses chairs, and can balance on just about anything. I mean, sure, lock up the chemicals, the super glue . . . but, sugar? handsoap? toilet paper? spoons?
I SURRENDER. And I love being a mom. Even today.

10 comments:

ROSIE said...

wow . . . there is no way I could have kept my cool. Your an amazing mama! Kate sure looks cute when she knows she has done something bad :)

Young Baldwin said...

That's one thing mom always talks about.I was just to sneaky for mom.If I did something wrong,she wouldn't know for a week.Baby locks never worked I always manged to open them or I'd go around them. Next time I talk to you I'll tell you about THE HOT SAUCE STORY.It's even funnier than be being born in the born in the bathroom.

Matt, Karin, Sienna, Sadie & Tanner said...

Oh, Katie-Kate. What a little stinker. That is too funny. I'm sorry about your mess.

.l i c k t e e s. said...

sweet katie-kate. that is a lot of nail polish. way to go brit, i am glad the messy things are becoming less messy :)

and is it bad that my first thought was, "thank goodness we didn't give her that nail polish as a gift?"

we love you kate...you made our day :)

Sherilyn and Donovan said...

I am so sorry, but I am glad that you surrender now I feel better about myself surrendering. I can't wait to see you.

Richard H. Glassford II said...

Very cool !! You have some young artist on your hands.

Rich

dishka said...

OH MY GOSH!! That is stressing ME out! I'm coming up on #5 and can't wrap my brain around the surrender concept...though I need to and truthfully I really WANT to be the fun mom. Teach me oh wise one!

Ammie G said...

You got to love blogging. when you see a new sandbox in your kitchen or your expensive lotions all over your kids and bathroom. you don't get as mad about it. you just think- this is going to be great on my blog.

Sarah said...

fez? what a funny little girl!!

You are my hero brit, glad anne was there to help tell her hi for me and give the new little man a big fat kiss for long lost friend Judd:)

Tricia said...

Welcome to the club friend. It's a good place to be. It's a hard place to stay. You are great!